• Spouse, son, daughter, legally adopted child, or stepchild of a fallen firefighter who met the criteria for inclusion on the National Fallen Firefighters Memorial in Emmitsburg, Maryland. Children of fallen firefighters must be under the age of 30.
• Applicant must have high school diploma or equivalency or be within the final year of high school.
• Applicant must be planning to pursue undergraduate or graduate studies, or job skills training at an accredited university, college, community college, or technical school.
• Full and part-time students are eligible.
• Demonstrate academic and personal potential.
• Academic standing (minimum 2.0 grade point ratio or "C" average)
• Involvement in extracurricular activities, including community and volunteer activities
• Applicant is required to write a Personal Statement (200 words or less).
• Two letters of recommendation; at least one should be from a member of the fire service and neither should be from a relative.